This Wizard of Oz Ruby Red Slippers Keychain is Great for Fans of the Classic Story Wizard of Oz.
The ruby slippers are the magic pair of shoes worn by Dorothy Gale as played by Judy Garland in the 1939 Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer musical film The Wizard of Oz. Because of their iconic stature, the ruby slippers are among the most valuable items of film memorabilia. A number of pairs were made for the film, though the exact number is unknown. Five pairs are known to have survived; one pair was stolen from a museum in 2005 and recovered in 2018.
In L. Frank Baum's original 1900 novel, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, on which the film is based, Dorothy wears Silver Shoes. However, the color of the shoes was changed to red to take advantage of the new Technicolor film process used in big-budget Hollywood films of the era. Film screenwriter Noel Langley is credited with the idea.
The slippers were designed by Gilbert Adrian, MGM's chief costume designer. Initially, two pairs were made in different styles. The so-called "Arabian test pair" was "a wildly jeweled, Arabian motif, with curling toes and heels." This pair was used in costume tests, but was rejected as unsuitable for Dorothy's Kansas farm girl image. The second design was approved, with one modification. The red bugle beads used to simulate rubies proved too heavy, so they were mostly replaced with sequins, about 2,300 for each shoe.
- Wizard of Oz Gifts of Ruby Slippers Women and Oz Fans will Love the Wizard of Oz Merchandise
- Wizard of Oz Slippers and Wizard of Oz Jewelry Quality as a Wizard of Oz Gift for Men and Women
- Dorothy from Wizard of Oz would Love these Wizard of Oz Collectibles and Wizard of Oz Keychain
- Dorothy Red Ruby Slippers of the Wiserd of Oz Beautiful Keychain Ornament
- The Nicest Slippers Key Chain for Anyone that Loves Wizard of Oz Charms and Wizard of Oz Gifts